We are working to improve the formulation of our products – from the reduction or removal of salt, sugar and fats to the inclusion of beneficial ingredients. Since 2004, we have played an important role in addressing public health nutrition problems related to both overnutrition and undernutrition.
We have reformulated and developed tens of thousands of products with less fat, sugar, calories or salt; virtually eliminated industrially produced trans fats from our product portfolios; increased ingredients considered beneficial for good health, such as fibre, whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy; and fortified commonly consumed foods with calcium, vitamins and minerals to address micronutrient deficiencies.
We are reducing calories by offering smaller portion sizes and providing portion guidance.
In order to provide a measurable framework for companies’ ongoing efforts to innovate and wherever appropriate reformulate products, each IFBA member company undertakes to make a specific corporate commitment, which addresses one or more of the following, as relevant to each company’s portfolio:
- Improve the formulation of products, continuing to reduce nutrients such as sodium, sugar and saturated fats ;
- Increase components to encourage wherever possible (fibre, whole grains, vitamins and minerals, fruits and vegetables and low‐fat dairy);
- Provide reduced sugar/saturated fat/salt options;
- Replace trans‐fatty acids (TFAs) without increasing saturated fat content wherever possible;
- Provide a variety of portion size packaging, including small and/or reduced portion sizes and/or low‐ and no‐calorie options, as well as portion guidance.